How You Can Quickly Shift To A Remote Working Business Model To Maximize Productivity In Today’s Challenging Climate
As a business owner at the moment, you’re now facing unprecedented challenges including remote working set up and management, to help deal with the corona virus pandemic. You are asked to self-isolate and practice social distancing to “flatten the curve.” You are asked to allow your employees to work from home to reduce possible exposure and slow the spread of COVID-19.
These are all reasonable requests. However, as a business owner you also need to maximize productivity, bring in revenue and try to grow your business in these demanding times. How can you accomplish these goals when your office is now likely closed, and you’re concerned about productivity dropping off? That’s where we as an IT Managed Service Provider want to guide you as best we can to get the best out of your employees and your IT resources at this challenging time to drive productivity and get positive outcomes from remote working while staying secure, disaster free and driving growth.
How do I enable remote working from home while managing employees and ensuring operational success?
The answer does lie in setting up your office to function remotely, but if you haven’t done so or are just starting to get this process rolling we can guide you along to ensure success. We recently wrote about IT hacking here and this is something t be mindful of especially with remote working however, there is no need to panic because there are steps to stay secure.
If you’ve never implemented a work-from-home policy before, it may seem like a whole different world. Managing an entirely remote workforce goes far beyond giving your employees a laptop and reminding them to check in every once in a while. After all, there are many factors most business owners haven’t ever had to consider, such as:
- What technologies do I need?
- How can my employees work from home without compromising the security of our network?
- How can I make this new work environment as easy, comfortable and productive as possible?
1. Don’t allow employees to use home computers or devices- Their mindset may be, “Well, I’m working from home so I may as well use my home computer.” This is a dangerous mistake. Our team works hard to ensure your company computers and network are secure and protected from malware, viruses and cyber-attacks. Their home computers and devices could be littered with tons of downloaded music, videos, images and more. Because it’s more exposed, it can invite malware into your network. Rather, provide a company-approved and secured computer/laptop for employees to use at home.
2. Secure their WiFi access point. Without a secure WiFi access point, you’re essentially leaving a back door open to hackers. That’s because WiFi signals are often broadcast far beyond your employees’ homes and out into streets. Unfortunately drive-by hacking is becoming more popular among cyber-criminals today. A few tips for securing your employees’ WiFi access points:
- Use stronger encryption and a more complex password
- Hide your network name
- Use a firewall
These security measures are not difficult to set up. But if you have any questions or need assistance, we will be happy to help get your employees set up remotely.
3. Use a two-factor authentication VPN. VPN stands for virtual private network. It’s essentially a private, encrypted tunnel that goes direct to your IT network in your office. Ideally, you’ll want your VPN to support two-factor authentication. This means it’s doubly secure because your employees will need to call in to access the network. If you don’t have a VPN for your employees to use, you can consider other services, such as GoToMyPC or Zoho. While these products are not as secure, at least they keep your home network from being exposed.
As business owners & directors ourselves, we too are having to pivot and work differently than we ever have before. However, because we have the technology and infrastructure in place, we are still surprisingly productive.
Can I get this done with mimimal disruption & little or no financial cost?
Yes, you can is the answer to both questions. Our team wants to help your business survive and thrive during today’s unique environment. If you and your IT team need extra hands right now…or solutions to help your employees work SECURELY from home…we have software tools, expert staff and resources we’d like to offer you to keep your business as productive as possible.
Please click the link below if you wish to book a quick 10- to 15-minute call to discuss how we can gave you free IT Support and guidance over the coming weeks.
Alternatively you can email email@example.com & let us know what day/time suits you for this quick call to suss where you are regarding your IT in your business so we can plan this together! Stay safe and stay positive!